Just-In-Time (sort-of) (imperfect) (fun) Polyphonic Classifier

Optimally I could even put a contact mic on the bottom of the hihat (something I’ve thought about anyways) and then there’s no doubt as to what’s coming from where. That’s something I’ll probably do as a broader setup, but part of my exploration here isn’t to necessarily differentiate between those sounds as they are pretty far apart in terms of sound (even though it’s not as clear cut in terms of the classification).

The reason I want to do it all with an air mic is that what would be more useful to do would be to train it on various prepared snare sounds, and have it tell what I did. That’s something the fancy sensor fails at, as it’s mechanically coupled, and is trained on a finite amount of unmodified sounds. So using preparations and such will fall outside of its scope.

ok what about an hybrid: you use the sensor to detect which source to process, and then the airmic to nuance?

That’s where the onset descriptors comes in :slight_smile:

I did some recordings to test stuff further too, to see if I can get to the bottom of the loudness discrepancies, and to also test out the pitch descriptor effectiveness, though I long for some descriptors-land sigmund-ing.

1 Like