Using FluCoMa tools with reaper

Easy enough to follow the convention of reaper. Store takes next to the source with incremented names :^)

1 Like

Sorry to spam this thread:

I couldn’t fix the bug where you cannot segment a segment so I moved on to make the script work on multiple selected files. In doing so, I was reminded that LUA uses immutable strings and to work on many files I would have to store every set of parameters in a table prior to executing the slicing. Now everything works!

@rodrigo.constanzo @tremblap

What would be the ideal mechanic for NMF? Right now I have something which creates the NMF and adds it as a new take to the source item. You can then explode take to new items, then explode multichannel items to new tracks but I don’t want to assume thats what anyone else would want. I somewhat think going straight to new tracks is a bit heavy but I think that another option is a child track containing the multichannel audio.

the behaviour to new take is the best one for the reasons you mention. people can make a script of a chain of script if they want to explode it to tracks automagically.

thanks

I would personally want it to go to a bunch of tracks, since I don’t think I’d ever want to NMF, and then not have each component isolated.

Perhaps a chain of scripts then so it’s more flexible?

I’d vote for takes by default too. It’s a very convenient interface for A-B-ing, and it’s easy to explode.

1 Like

Okay, seems the consensus seems to be takes. It is very easy to use default actions after that to get the desired configuration. Sorry for not tagging you @weefuzzy! I forgot you were lurking in here :wink:

There is a working NMF tool now. Due to its long processing times the whole of REAPER locks out while it processes. I’ll see if there is a way to make it defer the GUI or something so you can keep going because its all being done in the shell anyway…

1 Like

there is. Check the ‘advanced’ tab here

I tried to defer the main() loop of the functions but it went a bit wonky. It’s something ill revisit later.

The other problem is that if the user drags a file while the processing is happening all the values on which it was executed will change and these have to be passed to the shell prior to calculation so really there is no benefit (or possible way) to make this work well within the boundaries of a scripting language. Still, this is luxury feature :slight_smile:

Dear James,

After being caught up in many other matters, I’m now getting back to FluComa stuff and read in more detail about your contributions towards Reaper scripts. It sounds amazing.

But as I have not read discourse in months, it’s hard for a ‘beginner’ to jump in.

I read the thread from 2 weeks ago.

In order to make sense for me could you please provide the current download links to your command line tools, the scripts and any installation helpfile (if it exists).

You made some short videos a while ago, but they were still based on using Python.

Thanks, Hans

Hi Hans,

Nice to hear from you. I can imagine trying to catch up is a mountain of work so let me try and crash course you. This will hopefully be helpful for anyone else who enters the discourse at this point too.

ReaScript

The ReaScripting stuff is located here:

You can follow the readme on there on how to install the scripts ( which isn’t really an installation but just instructions on how to use the scripts once you’ve downloaded them ). For brevity I won’t copy paste the instructions here as it will very quickly balloon the thread.

Batch processing

I haven’t actually looked at these in a while now. I am bit worried they won’t work or arguments have changed names since then. I have been doing a lot of batch processing in another project a while ago but the scripts aren’t generic work out of the box kind of things. Given that things are now beta and things like parameters are less prone to change I would be open to making some more generic batch processors if thats useful for you and others. It definitely would be useful for me at some point it would just be about the needs of others aligning with my compositional needs and priorities.

Python is also losing its charm on me, given that it will no longer be shipped on MacOS machines and so I’d have to have a think about what is portable, light and user friendly (as well as coder friendly for me).

Summary

Anyway, I think that the ReaScripts strike a good balance between musical productivity and coder-fun batch processing, so I’d suggest starting there. If you really want to blow up 1000 files with the transient extractor let me know and I can throw something together in bash .

1 Like

James, this is great help. Thanks.

Is this still the current CLI?
Fluid_Decomposition_CLI_alpha04.zip

I am using Beta01.

I forgot to disclaim that the ReaScripts use a function in the CLI that is currently coming in Beta02 (I am led to believe by @tremblap) and is not yet available. The team has kindly given me a build before it goes public so I can fix the scripts up ahead of time using .csv output and to test for any bugs in that specific feature.

To tide you over to the next release I have packaged up for you the most recent version of the scripts that don’t use the new functionality. These will work with Beta01 and upwards. I hope the team doesn’t mind me redistributing my binaries folder like this including @tremblap’s little index_extractor tool he made. Let me know if that is an issue @weefuzzy, @groma or @tremblap.

Download this zip archive:

https://cp.sync.com/dl/a18ecb3d0/6gs7b6nx-ky593n3u-258bpndw-axcvgnb8

Then follow the installation guide with this in mind:

1. Treat executables as the command line executables (you will need to put the executable files into your path somewhere)
  2. Treat ReaComa as the scripts (they can go anywhere as per the installation guide)

happy to help you diagnose any issues you run into as any bugs are likely to be my fault :wink:

Thanks. That worked, at least Reaper is happy with the path and I can load a script.
I assume that novelty slice should do something with the default values. But how do I know that a process is actually running? The parameter window closes when I click ok, but nothing else seems to happen.

I did select a sound file in Reaper before launching the script.

Try a stupidly low threshold like 0.01 - if you don’t get any slices I think something is off and we can debug further.

and nothing happens

Do you get a popup of any sort?

no, I don’t get any further visual feedback after clicking ok