@weights attribute for fluid.bufstats~ doesn't work with @startframe/@numframes

This seems more like a peculiar edge-case behavior in which you’d then be expected to manage your own sizes.

The creation of the @weights attribute was specifically for descriptor-based weighting of summary statistics (it even says so in the helpfile for fluid.bufstats~), so it’s not some generic Ears-like buffer transformation function/utility.

The current behavior would also make sense if fluid.weights~ was an object that was independent of fluid.bufstats~, but at the moment @weights is an attribute of fluid.bufstats~. It just ignores some of the other attributes of fluid.bufstats~ in a way that, as a user, makes no sense. Unless I’m overlooking something, I don’t know of any of the other fluid.objects~ in which object-specific attributes apply to only parts of the functionality, or end up behaving in an either/or manner (as in, you can use @weights or @numframes, not both).

Perhaps something like @weightsstartframe/@weightsnumframes (ala fluid.bufcompose~'s separate attributes for source/destination buffers) would help here in terms of legibility and consistency in interface.

I like the sound of that!

I know I’ve beleaguered the point but revisiting and modifying patches in the last couple of days, every time I need to create a new buffer, rename an existing buffer (along with every instance of it across all the related objects, which then resizes all the objects) I’m instantly in a non-creative/administrative mindset, rather than a tweaky/coding/creative one.