Ideas for the Knowledge Exchange Platform Content - aka where you hit a learning wall yet want to know more

Dear all

Please use this thread to let us know where you block in your learning, from the helpfiles, example folder, and the (upcoming) knowledge exchange platform.

Obviously, we will not be able to respond to all of it immediately, but it would be good for us to know what you want to know more about. We also plan to refer to a lot of external resources so if you find one that almost does it but not clear enough, feel free to post it too!

Some things off the top of my head:

-A detailed fluid.ampslice~ explanation/demo, that goes into detail about the odd edge cases. (A bunch of this should live in the helpfile/references, but pedagogically that should be there).

Or perhaps having a really in-depth walktrhough for each of the ā€œslicingā€ paradigms you talk about in the paper(s) (temporal, objects, etcā€¦).

-The interactive(ish) nmf thing that @weefuzzy demoā€™d at the last plenary would be great fleshed out. Iā€™m sure thatā€™s in progress anyways.

-Seeing detailed and in-depth ā€œcase studiesā€ on there. I donā€™t know if this is part of the plan, but it would be great seeing extracted bits of code/patches/examples that people (not just the ā€œcomposersā€, but you guys as well) have worked out for specific kinds of approaches and material.

-In addition to having a reference-style ke where you can look at subjects in general, having something like the Ableton Learning Synths page, which you mentioned. By that I mainly mean having a walk-through tutorial type thing that isnā€™t too heavy on jargon, or rather increases the jargon as the tutorials go on.

1 Like

Bases and Dictionaries for NMF were a massive wtf moment for me. It took a while for me to grasp why I was storing that data and why I would want to when I already had the stuff (I thought) I immediately wanted, the @resynth buffer. This probably ties into there needing to be a simpler but more effective example for the @{bases/activations}mode flag, demonstrating why that information is important to keep around.

1 Like

Good to know @jamesbradbury in the meantime check the fixed dictionary example (the guitar pick) in the 3 objects. It over-analyses 2 sec then can manipulate that separation much more creatively and efficiently. Like a ā€˜noise profileā€™ for a denoiser, but an ā€˜object profileā€™