Creating a 1d "grid" (possible fluid.grid~ bug?)

I’m trying to build something where I plot all the samples in a corpus along a single 1d line (0. to 1.).

I can do this easily enough with umap and normalize, but I would also like the points to be evenly spaced on that line. So I thought to use fluid.grid~, but it seems that @extent doesn’t let you go down to `1’ (the helpfile says that zero turns off constraints but nothing about 1 being impossible).

At the moment if you set @extent 1 on fluid.grid~ it silently fails by creating an empty dataset. The helpfile throws an error, but that’s only from the fluid.normalize~ further down the pipe. By poking/printing it’s possible to see that the dataset generated is empty.

@extent 1:

fluid.normalize~: DataSet is empty
fluid.dataset~: DataSet help.grid.3.output: {}

@extent 2:

fluid.dataset~: DataSet help.grid.3.output: 
rows: 100 cols: 2
0          1         3
1          1        21
10          1        42
97          0        45
98          0        11
99          1        43

I suppose I could do umap->normalize then manually create a new spacing by taking 1 / amount_of_entries and accum-ing that for each step but that feels faffy to have to go in/out of stuff.

Is the behavior of fluid.grid~ expected here (@extent 1 being impossible and silently failing) or is that an oversight bug?

In the end this wasn’t so bad to do, so I’ve gone and done this but leaving the thread up/open in case there is a weird or unexpected behavior with fluid.grid~.

I think that by virtue of the algorithm being an assignment, you need to have two dimensions. Not 100% sure though as I didn’t implement it, nor am I that knowledgeable. But I would hedge its not a bug. It is also entirely pointless outside of patching convenience to assign in one dimension, as you can just quantise the range of your data across one axis.