FluCoMa : Pd on Mac

Is there a workable version for Pd on OSX? It is missing from the download link but I have not seen any discussion regarding its absence.

Regards,
T

Indeed it seems to have disappeared!
I’ve reuploaded it, try again!

Got it, thank you very much!

1 Like

Hello again,
I am unfortunately having a new issue.

After adding the objects to my externals folder and startup path, whenever I try to open a patch that features a flucoma object Pd immediately closes. I don’t get a crash alert or any notification whatsoever. It just closes all windows and quits the program.

If I remove the objects from the path and open a patch with flucoma objects, it behaves as one would expect: the objects appear with dotted outlines and the parent window prints a “couldn’t create” error.

Am I making an obvious mistake or is this a bug?

I am running Pd 0.50 64-bit on Mac OS 10.13.6 (“high sierra”)

Thank you

Thanks for the report!

Doesn’t sound like you’re doing anything wrong (i.e. it’s a bug: stuff shouldn’t crash), but I’m surprised. I wonder if we’ve fallen afoul of some change between PD versions.

A crash report might be available. If you open /Applications/Utilities/Console.app and select ‘User Reports’ in the left hand pane, you might see crash logs for PD. If there are some, please do share them with us and we’ll see if we can get to the bottom of things.

I just built PD 0.50.2 on my local machine (10.12.6) and can’t reproduce unfortunately, so if there are crash reports that would really help.

If there aren’t any, then running PD from the terminal might help

$ /Applications/Pd.App/Contents/MacOS/Pd

(change for whatever the full name of your Pd.App is)

Hi again,
Thank you for your help. No crash logs are printing to the user reports. When I run from terminal, still not much useful information- Upon opening any patch with flucoma objects, this is all that prints to terminal:

Pd: signal 4

gui socket 5 -

closing audio…

closing MIDI…

… done.

I am running Pd-0.50-0. Maybe I will try 50.2 if you think it could make a difference.

Thanks,
T

Hmm, signal 4 is an illegal instruction. I wonder if your CPU doesn’t support AVX instructions (in which case the PD version will make no difference)

Could you run the following two commands in terminal and paste the output please?

$ sysctl -n machdep.cpu.brand_string

and

$ sysctl machdep.cpu.features

Cheers

Intel(R) Core™2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz

and

machdep.cpu.features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM PBE SSE3 DTES64 MON DSCPL VMX SMX EST TM2 SSSE3 CX16 TPR PDCM SSE4.1 XSAVE

i suspect you’re right, as my machine is from 2010

Ok, that’s confirmed, unfortunately. Your CPU doesn’t support AVX instructions, so the current build isn’t going to work on that machine. Sorry :cry:

For our binary releases we’ll have to have a think about whether to change this setting: we don’t want to freeze people with older processors out, but these instructions do make a real speed difference.

The code for everything will be On Github Very Soon™: if you’re happy with compiling stuff it should be simple to build a version that is optimal for your system.

1 Like

Well, thanks for helping me get to the bottom of it!
Hopefully I can afford to upgrade soon, it’s been something I’ve wanted to do for a while anyway. Until then, I will keep an eye out for the git repository.

1 Like