Making sense of fluid.ampslice~

20 dB is a lot for that param. For mine, just nudging it by a few dB in either direction does the trick.

I think you want to tune the onthreshold and offthreshold a lot more here. @tremblap gave me a rule of thumb of having the off one be 6dB lower than the on one, as a point of reference.

This is the general signal flow of ampslice:

So, in effect things below floor get ignored, yes. As @rodrigo.constanzo says, this stops the envelope followers getting dragged down too far. Detection is a schmitt trigger, like thresh~, but with added temporal debouncing (minSliceLength).

1 Like

The beginning bit is the same for ampgate~, which then has a much more involved state machine to manage lookahead and lookback etc.

@tutschku this is very helpful for us to know what is not clear. I don’t know where to start to go hyper-verbose. so I am tempted to do very focused online seminars with people asking questions, so we can trace how far, and how deep, people want to go. We could open them to a group here, with a specific question, like ‘understanding all [givenslicer] parameters’ and we could really make that an intro by me or someone of the team, then most of it is questions and going over the bits that were not clear. We did that in plenary 2 with many of the algo, and it felt good for everyone, right?

2 Likes

In this time some shared FluCoMa geeking would be good for the soul…

2 Likes

Yeah. I imagine the next plenary will be along those lines anyways, but some open discussion Zoom-y time would be great.

I would also be interested in some clarification-meeting on the slicing algorithms rather sooner than later. Thanks, Hans

1 Like

I remember there was some talk of an interactive thing @jacob.hart had built, for visualizing things natively in Max.

I would imagine it wouldn’t be terribly difficult to build something like Reaper’s thing where you can view where the thresholds fall relative to the waveform (using overlaid multisliders, or jsui).

1 Like

@weefuzzy has done some work on this… but the first meeting around ampslice/ampgate will happen soon. Let me negotiate countryside internet bandwidth with the family to offer a few slots so we can get as many people as possible… not that many, but at least n>1 :wink:

3 Likes

Preferably your afternoons to be able to join from the other side of the waters.

Indeed I am used to transatlantic parties :slight_smile:

ok here we go @tutschku @rodrigo.constanzo @jamesbradbury @weefuzzy

let me know asap and I’ll devise a platform and a few examples but mostly reply to questions. I’ll try to get a tablet to draw quickly too

1 Like

Done. I’m very free so all the times are ticked. Will you let us know a time or should we depend on doodle?

I think having some Q&A time, perhaps working through examples we can each bring, would be useful.

I’ve been trying to slice some stuff (via @jamesbradbury’s ReaCoMa stuff) and for the life of me I can never get useful settings out of any of the slicers (which isn’t aided by the…[redacted]…default values of many of them).

I’ll let people know here

Let’s start with presentation then Q&A then examples you can throw my way and I go verbose trying to adjust them.

Friday, 15:30 UK time, 16:30 on the continent, 10:30 in Boston. I’ll post a link to a Zoom or Jit.si here.

2 Likes

I spent some time to figure out how to simulate white board sketching for my online teaching on Zoom. If you have an iPad with pencil you can use the app Astropad to draw on the Mac screen.

1 Like

This is certainly one of my questions I want to figure out.

i will try to jump in on that thx

1 Like

Is anyone down for a “pre-game”? As in, a bunch of us just start chatting and sharing bits before @tremblap shows up? Could be good to cover some ground with each other ahead of time. Maybe even an hour early if people are down?