Neural network controlled frequency modulation (audio examples)

I worked on this some in the plenary, but I’ve improved it since then. Here are some audio examples:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1UlehRXXOO5faNq3srPAm7Ku0pmEkV5mT?usp=sharing

I trained the FluidMLPRegressor to be able to predict what frequency modulation parameters would best recreate the spectrum of an incoming sound (by training on it it’s own spectrum).

I found the problem I was having was that I was feeding it way too much data, by which I mean I was feeding it parameter vectors that I would never actually ask it to try to recreate. For example carrier freq = 20, mod freq = 10000, index = 20 is a spectrum I would probably never need for it to try to recreate, so it ends up being more noise in the training data. Again it all comes down to how good the training data is!

(
s.waitForBoot({
	Task({

var fm_norm_path = "/Users/ted/Desktop/SCD/flucoma/nn fm/200726_01 poisson no median filter/200726_172723_4584_spec_filtered_data/200726_172723_fm_norm_nSteps=4584.json";
		var analysis_norm_path = "/Users/ted/Desktop/SCD/flucoma/nn fm/200726_01 poisson no median filter/200726_172723_4584_spec_filtered_data/200726_172723_spec_filtered_data_norm_nSteps=4584.json";
		var nn_path = "/Users/ted/Desktop/SCD/flucoma/nn fm/200726_01 poisson no median filter/200726_172723_4584_spec_filtered_data/200726_172723_melbands->fm_spec_filtered_data_nSteps=4584_shape=[ 6 ]_hiddenAct=sigmoid_outAct=identity_nEpochs=31800_loss=0.0499.json";

var analysis_size = 13;

var test_buf, net, pitching_bus, catching_bus, input_buf0, input_bu1, output_buf0, fm_mins;
		var fm_maxes, analysis_mins, analysis_maxes, fm_ranges, analysis_ranges;
		var amp_bus, fm_json, analysis_json;

s.sync;

net = FluidMLPRegressor();
		pitching_bus = Bus.control(s);
		catching_bus = Bus.control(s);
		input_buf0 = Buffer.alloc(s,1,analysis_size);
		output_buf0 = Buffer.alloc(s,3);

fm_json = JSONFileReader.read(fm_norm_path);
		analysis_json = JSONFileReader.read(analysis_norm_path);
		amp_bus = Bus.control(s);

~input_buf1 = Buffer.alloc(s,analysis_size);

fm_mins = fm_json.at("data_min").asFloat;
		fm_maxes = fm_json.at("data_max").asFloat;
		fm_ranges = fm_maxes - fm_mins;

analysis_mins = analysis_json.at("data_min").asFloat;
		analysis_maxes = analysis_json.at("data_max").asFloat;
		analysis_ranges = analysis_maxes - analysis_mins;

//test_buf = Buffer.readChannel(s,"/Volumes/Ted's 10TB My Book (June 2020)/PROJECT FILES/machine learning/Training Data/Audio/a test file.wav",channels:[0]);
//
		test_buf = Buffer.readChannel(s,"/Volumes/Ted's 10TB My Book (June 2020)/PROJECT FILES/machine learning/Training Data/Audio/basson mixed activity for testing (complete).wav",channels:[0]);
		//test_buf = Buffer.readChannel(s,"/Volumes/Ted's 10TB My Book (June 2020)/PROJECT FILES/machine learning/Training Data/Audio/quick brown fox.wav",channels:[0]);
		//test_buf = Buffer.readChannel(s,"/Volumes/Ted's 10TB My Book (June 2020)/SOUND DESIGNS/_EURORACK SOUNDS/200613 eurorack 01/_bounces/200613 eurorack 01 last 10 min excerpt.wav",channels:[0]);

//test_buf = Buffer.readChannel(s,"/Users/ted/Documents/_CREATING/_PROJECT FILES/wet ink/sounds 2/200606 eurorack 60 hz noise.wav",channels:[0]);

//test_buf = Buffer.readChannel(s,"/Users/ted/Documents/_CREATING/_PROJECT FILES/wet ink/sounds 2/slowed down eurorack with chromagram data.wav",channels:[0]);

[fm_mins,fm_maxes,fm_ranges].postln;
		[analysis_mins,analysis_maxes,analysis_ranges].postln;

s.sync;

net.read(nn_path);

s.sync;

net.inBus_(pitching_bus);
		net.outBus_(catching_bus);
		net.inBuffer_(~input_buf1);
		net.outBuffer_(output_buf0);

~trig_rate = 25;
		~example_dur = 5;
		//s.record;
		s.sync;

~inSynth = {
			var sig = PlayBuf.ar(1,test_buf,1,0,rrand(0,test_buf.numFrames),1);
			//var mfcc = FluidMFCC.kr(sig,40)[1..39];
			var spec = FluidSpectralShape.kr(sig);
			var pitch = FluidPitch.kr(sig);
			var loudness = FluidLoudness.kr(sig);
			var zc = A2K.kr(ZeroCrossing.ar(sig));
			var senseDis = SensoryDissonance.kr(FFT(LocalBuf(2048),sig));
			//var melbands = FluidMelBands.kr(sig,maxNumBands:40);
			var trig = Impulse.kr(~trig_rate);
			var flat_trig;
			//var vector = mfcc ++ spec ++ pitch;
			//var vector = spec ++ pitch;
			var vector = spec ++ pitch ++ loudness ++ [zc,senseDis];

//sig = sig * LFPulse.kr((~example_dur * 2).reciprocal).lag(0.03);

Out.kr(amp_bus,DelayN.kr(Amplitude.kr(sig),~trig_rate.reciprocal,~trig_rate.reciprocal));

vector = (vector - analysis_mins) / analysis_ranges;

vector = Median.kr(31,vector);

RecordBuf.kr(vector,input_buf0);

flat_trig = FluidBufFlatten.kr(input_buf0,~input_buf1,trig:trig);

Out.kr(pitching_bus,Done.kr(flat_trig));
			DelayN.ar(sig,~trig_rate.reciprocal,~trig_rate.reciprocal);
			//sig;
		}.play(net.synth,addAction:\addBefore);

~outSynth = {
			var max_del = 8;
			var inTrig = In.kr(catching_bus);
			var outs = 3.collect({
				arg i;
				Index.kr(output_buf0,i);
			});
			var sig;
			var cfreq, mfreq, index;
			var del_time = LFDNoise3.kr(2).range(0,1).pow(2) * max_del;

outs = Median.kr(31,outs);

outs = (outs * fm_ranges) + fm_mins;

outs = outs.lag(~trig_rate.reciprocal);

outs = outs ++ [In.kr(amp_bus)];

cfreq = outs[0].clip(20,20000);
			mfreq = outs[1].clip(20,20000);
			index = max(outs[2],0);

sig = SinOsc.ar(cfreq + SinOsc.ar(mfreq,0,mfreq * index));

sig = sig * outs[3];
			Out.ar(1,sig);
		}.play;
	}).play;
});
)

//s.stopRecording;
2 Likes

I look forward to testing it - I have to plough through a few bug reports and more boring stuff first but then I should be able to have fun with the tools too at one point! I’m still planing to clean the code you found a bug in and post it here for people to enjoy

Cool. I put the necessary jsons in that Google drive link also.

One other thought to share about this, which seems relevant to a question Lauren was asking (is she on the discourse? I can’t find her @). In both cases (this one and the previous one that sounded much less interesting) the loss after training was about 0.05. So the loss is was not indicative of the success here, it really came down to thinking harder about my training data.

3 Likes

@saguaro will like that.

2 Likes

:relaxed:

thanks @tedmoore super useful / interesting to me…

1 Like

Hello

I love the sounds, but I cannot run the code, so I have a few questions. I like the composite descriptor space you’ve created too… anyway, here goes:

• why use JSONFileReader? It is not in vanilla sc is it something you did?
  • I wanted to see the robot you used to train. You talk about being careful about the settings you feed it in, but I don’t see the part of the code where the iterative training on self happened.

I did not make JSONFileReader, but I did make a complementing JSONFileWriter.

I use this here because before I did the training I normalized both the input and output data, therefore after my real-time analysis I need to scale it down and after the NN spits out a prediction, I need to scale those values back up. Since there is currently no way (?) to use FluidNormalize.transformPoint on the server, I had to get the min and max values out of the FluidNormalize.write JSON file in order to do the scaling.

I put everything you would need here. If you were to retrain using the script, you would need this class.

The important detail is that I first created a huge data set with cfreq and mfreq both ranging 20-20k (didn’t think it would be great to go below 20 since I was trying to train for timbre), and index 0-20. Then (after having poor results) I removed any point in the dataset that didn’t fit within the limitations below. Mostly it was to avoid having sidebands that wrap around zero, but also to remove any datapoints that I wasn’t concerned about having the NN learn.

cfreq < 5000 (I’m pretty this is the value I settled on)
mfreq < 2500 (I’m pretty this is the value I settled on)
mfreq < cfreq
(index + 1) * mfreq < cfreq

2 Likes

thanks this is very good info - I’ll give it a further poke over the weekend