SC: FluidDataSet and FluidLabelSet "get" method like Buffer "getn"

Hello,

I’ve noticed that when using “getPoint” or “getLabel” in some sort of loop (in order to get multiple responses) I need to insert an “s.sync” in order to get an accurate response. I have also since noticed it in the FluidDataSet help file. This feels a little clunky and certainly is slow.

Would it be possible to create a “getn” kind of behavior where I could pass an array of ids and then get an array of responses out of one call to the server? This could be a “flattened” array that I would then have to clump into it’s appropriate multidimensional form, but could also be a multidimensional array.

This seems like perhaps a lower priority as I don’t have a specific implementation concern in mind, but does seem like an extension of what the tool does–and I found it confusing that I would need to insert the “s.sync”, it seemed un idiomatic for SC. The “getn” would feel idiomatic.

Thank you!

s.boot;

~n_dims = 3;
// make empty dataset
~dataset = FluidDataSet(s,\kmeans_test,~n_dims);

// fill up the dataset
(
100.do({
	arg i;
	Buffer.loadCollection(s,Array.fill(~n_dims,{rrand(0.0,1.0)}),1,{
		arg buf;
		~dataset.addPoint(i.asSymbol,buf);
	});
});
)

(
// this doesn't work, return all zeros
100.do({
	arg i;
	Buffer.alloc(s,~n_dims,1,{
		arg buf;
		~dataset.getPoint(i.asSymbol,buf,{
			buf.getn(0,3,{
				arg points;
				"%:\t%\t%\t%".format(i,points[0],points[1],points[2]).postln;
			});
		});
	});
});
)

(
// this does work. i have to let the server sync so that the osc flying back and forth doesnt get messed up?
Task({
	100.do({
		arg i;
		var buf = Buffer.alloc(s,~n_dims);
		// =========================================================================
		// ============= this is the change from what is above =====================
		s.sync;
		~dataset.getPoint(i.asSymbol,buf,{
			buf.getn(0,3,{
				arg points;
				//points.postln;
				"%:\t%\t%\t%".format(i,points[0],points[1],points[2]).postln;
			});
		});
	});
}).play;
)

This idea is certainly a good contribution to our first challenge of the year for the 2nd toolbox. @weefuzzy is on the interface questions which are also cumbersome in Max and Pd but a lot more to the fore in SC with the whole sync’ing inherent to the language… keep on sending ideas on this thread!

1 Like