Term / language clarification

As I don’t know into which category this should go, I’m just putting it here. Feel free to move it where you think it is more appropriate.

Some of my own confusion in understanding the slicing process might stem from the ‘double’ use of the term transient. Most of the time you refer to a ‘moment in time’, when the transient happens. That moment of time is a pointer in a buffer and has no duration. But in musical terms we think about a transient as a recognizable part of a sound, which strongly shapes our perception of the onset and which does have a particular duration. Is there a way to communicate this difference somehow? Naming the pointer in the buffer ‘moment of transient’ MOT or something alike?

1 Like

Yeah it’s tricky.

I was struggling to come up with useful terms in that other thread, and decided on general synthesis ones for now (ADSR).

I was having a flip through Microsound yesterday to see if Roads had some generically useful name for these phases of sounds (for my use case), but nothing jumped out at me.

Transient, in particular, does have this very specific double use-case in the FluCoMa verse though. So perhaps some clear differentiation there would be useful.

1 Like

Thanks for catching this. A grep of the documentation does reveal that the discussions of the onset and novelty slicers use ‘transient’, and they shouldn’t. Will amend. In the some of the engineering literature, one will see ‘change point’ used as a more generic term, but this might be too vague for our purposes.

We tend to use transient as a strong rupture in the signal (a click) which often signals an onset (the much more abstract musician concept of the beginning of a sound) and we have tried to be systematic with this distinction. As @weefuzzy said, thanks for the catch. the learn.flucoma.org site should be more consistent, and again if any of these have crept up, send along.