Verbose information when hovering over outlets

Is there a reason that none of the decomposition objects tell you what the outlets are?

Screenshot 2020-05-15 at 5.53.49 pm

Having it say what comes out of each outlet would be super useful, and seemingly normal Max ‘best practice’ stuff(?):

Screenshot 2020-05-15 at 5.54.59 pm

Basically every time I use these objects I have to go to the helpfile and infer bpatcher that is being used which is which.

In checking most objects (not all), it seems like none of them actually tell you what the output is, whereas most native Max objects give you a bit more info:

Screenshot 2020-05-15 at 5.58.35 pm

I can confirm that none of our objects have inlet & outlet assist messages. The tl;dr explanation is that adding this in a sane way requires an internal refactor, and that because this is a Max-only issue and there were always more pressing problems to sort out, it hasn’t been moving up the priority list. This may be your moment to file our first GitHub feature request…

Done!

Perhaps as a stop gap the helpfiles could be more explicit about which is which for each object.

I’m unreasonably excited to have both a fixed bug and a feature request up. I’ll review the help files and see where things can be improved, but – like you – I do appreciate it when hovering over an in/outlet tells me things.

There would be a Max-only kludge one could do, but I wouldn’t be able to get to that especially soon either.

However, if any readers who yearn for inlet / outlet assistance fancied putting in our first pull request, I’d be totally happy to help them through it. (Don’t worry Rod, I’m not expecting you to suddenly become enthusiastic about C++ :heart: )

1 Like

Heh, you know how I feel about Vegas

It’s not so bad once you get acclimatised

1 Like