(weighted) pitch analysis

In general, I meant with “ears”, though in the case of the sine wave example (550Hz), correct=input. It’s obviously more subjective and perceptual with acoustic sounds.

I guess I meant having some more “vertical awareness” in the matter. For example, if I run that same audio file into sigmund~, I obviously get some wiggling around, but it hovers/finds 126Hz to be the fundamental. I don’t know the maths of what’s going on under the hood there, but I imagine it takes harmonics or at least octaves into account when determining what the fundamental is?

At the moment, using confidence weighting, it’s basically saying “I’m certain these pitches happened at some point in this file”, but there’s no way to figure out the relationship between them (harmonics) or make a meaningful(ish) (gu)estimate on what summary statistic would work best (mean/median/min/etc…).

Thanks for the mode thingy!

Testing it out on these sounds is interesting.

For the sine wave, I get 530Hz as the modal bin, which is slightly closer than 523, but not quite 550. That could be a bin width/resolution thing though.

Interestingly I get 390Hz for the metal sample (from my last post), which is a pretty prominent harmonic, so in that sense the mode picked out something more, um, “perceptually accurate” than the vanilla summary stats. This is without confidence weighting either.

Curious what you used here. I first used spectrumdraw~ as it was kind of hard to ‘unstick’ my ears from the harmonics, and that got me down to 125Hz. In checking again now in iZotope I can see the lowest harmonic is that 125Hz one:

I mean, I see some fuzzy stuff under that, but it doesn’t look like a harmonic of the sound, but rather noise/bin funny business.