(weighted) pitch analysis

Yeah, the overall amount of time it spends at 550Hz is less than half, but it is the single longest stretch of a consistent pitch.

Hmm, a derivative of the remaining bit would be handy. Perhaps finding a section with the lowest derivative could give similar results to finding the mode.

I had no idea about this stuff! Jesus:

I feel like I’m looking through the code in the Matrix or something. I’m so used to seeing these kinds of representations get blurrier the lower they go.

Yeah that definitely looks good. I still think there are cases where some kind of “vertical” awareness, or a way to parse through that information in a contextually-aware way would be useful, but this covers a lot of ground in terms of “finding the fundamental”.

I still need to strike a balance with this stuff as for my main analysis (256 samples), pitch is largely not present (in noisy percussive sounds) or when it is, given it’s only a few frames of analysis, it’s not terribly reliable.

Perhaps this will be useful in the predictive analysis “time travel” stuff where I have no pitch vector in the 256 sample analysis, but I include pitch in the 4410 predicted version.

Even then, for percussive-y sounds, I wouldn’t say that pitch is of equal significance as “timbre” or loudness.