FluCoMa is dead... long live FluCoMa!

Sorry for the dramatic headline this morning, but I am slightly emotional yet at peace…

After 66 months of intense work (research, development, musicking, teaching, scheming, devising, revising, etc) with some of the most talented and generous people in our field, the funding is now finished, and we officially go on to other occupations within various institutions… the list of people to thank is immense, but let’s focus on the core: the immediate team of @weefuzzy @groma @jacob.hart @tedmoore @jamesbradbury - then @a.harker who was part of that lot and part of the second lot, the artist consultants who contributed, musicking and commenting on our interface research, struggling against early iterations of it all… @rodrigo.constanzo @pasquetje @saguaro @leafcutterjohn @alicee @Chriskiefer @tutschku @rdevine1 @spluta - and then the keynotes and other collaborator and some of you on this forum when we went public… now if I start to name everyone this will be wayyyyy too long so I’ll stop here about the past. I think every FluidCorpusManipulationToolbox user owes them a lot!

That lot: obviously the toolset, but as importantly for our field, music and code and reflection on it, learning and teaching material to get on with it, articles to poke at the research and an open source codebase

This is where the long live part of the subject comes into play: it is now up to all of us as a community to maintain and develop this resource. Everyone can contribute:

• from finding bugs by using the cutting edge in your practice,
    • to sharing (Max/Pd/SuperCollider) code,
  • from asking to answering questions here;
  • from providing better explanations on the learn.flucoma.org platform tested within your community,

I, for one, will continue ploughing slowly at all of this, but help is always welcome.

Thank you everyone for what was a hell of a ride!

p.a.

9 Likes

oh, another way to help: please share this post/call to all groups where you think (potential) FluCoMa users and contributors could be found. If you like the resource, as a user and or a contributor, help us make it strive!

1 Like

It’s been my pleasure to take part, and to help out on whatever (often stubborn!) ways I can. It’s really transformed and enabled a large part of my practice and I will carry on reading/posting and creating issues when I come across them.

5 Likes

having been aware of the project from the start I still feel like I’m only scratching the surface (in terms of using the tools, building on them, and teaching using them) so I sure hope it stays relevant for a long time to come. Many thanks to everyone involved!

3 Likes

FluCoMa has certainly earmarked a memorable and exciting time that has undeniably influenced my interest in computers and music making in a significant way (and will continue to). The plenaries, conversations, gigs and general energy will be sorely missed, though I suspect it will continue to evolve and grow on in this forum and through connections we’ve all made, because we love playing with cutting edge stuff!

It has also been a privilege to work with so many great people on this project. You all know who you are! Long Live FluCoMa!

4 Likes

It’s strange to see FluCoMa all grown-up but I guess this time must come for all projects. I’ve been privileged to have some (small) part in both the dev side and the musicking and it’s definitely created some new directions for me.

It’s also been great to have @weefuzzy @groma @jacob.hart @tedmoore and @jamesbradbury around working on this (as well as to meet all the other artists at plenaries and gigs). Here’s to the new era of FluCoMa!

5 Likes

Agreed. I learned SO MUCH on this project. Still so much more to learn. Thanks for this!!

Sam

3 Likes

Was an honour and a joy to be a part of this beautiful family - long live flucoma & it’s many offspring xxx

2 Likes

just want to share my thanks and appreciation for all the hard work that went into this incredible toolset.

3 Likes