Making sense of fluid.ampslice~

Interesting.

The sound is indeed noisy and highpassed, with a real high-pitched squeal, which is something I had made a thread about a while back in terms of trying to “correct” for that before doing anything else.

What I normally do is have the vanilla Max version open at the same time and massage those settings as I can see the envelope output of that and make decisions accordingly. I still haven’t gotten a solid understanding of how the fast/slow envelope times have an impact on the peaks.

So with you’re tweaking of the settings (verbose style), are you doing that blind? Just poking at the numbers and… imagining what it’s doing?

edit:
I’m now wondering what other kind of pre-processing I could do with that signal to better improv it for “just” onset detection. Obviously the bulk of it is in the high frequency range, so I may try something where I aggressively highpass and maybe even bandpass to see if that improves the results.

Would looking at something like an expander help out too? Or would that just add latency (and potentially complicate things).

Man, that’s crazy! I’m not up on phase stuff (other than knowing, much like impedance, and whether to use effect or affect, the rule of thumb is “it is always the wrong one”), but I imagine it shouldn’t be doing what it’s doing there, heh.