Making sense of fluid.ampslice~

@weefuzzy has done some work on this… but the first meeting around ampslice/ampgate will happen soon. Let me negotiate countryside internet bandwidth with the family to offer a few slots so we can get as many people as possible… not that many, but at least n>1 :wink:

3 Likes

Preferably your afternoons to be able to join from the other side of the waters.

Indeed I am used to transatlantic parties :slight_smile:

ok here we go @tutschku @rodrigo.constanzo @jamesbradbury @weefuzzy

let me know asap and I’ll devise a platform and a few examples but mostly reply to questions. I’ll try to get a tablet to draw quickly too

1 Like

Done. I’m very free so all the times are ticked. Will you let us know a time or should we depend on doodle?

I think having some Q&A time, perhaps working through examples we can each bring, would be useful.

I’ve been trying to slice some stuff (via @jamesbradbury’s ReaCoMa stuff) and for the life of me I can never get useful settings out of any of the slicers (which isn’t aided by the…[redacted]…default values of many of them).

I’ll let people know here

Let’s start with presentation then Q&A then examples you can throw my way and I go verbose trying to adjust them.

Friday, 15:30 UK time, 16:30 on the continent, 10:30 in Boston. I’ll post a link to a Zoom or Jit.si here.

2 Likes

I spent some time to figure out how to simulate white board sketching for my online teaching on Zoom. If you have an iPad with pencil you can use the app Astropad to draw on the Mac screen.

1 Like

This is certainly one of my questions I want to figure out.

i will try to jump in on that thx

1 Like

Is anyone down for a “pre-game”? As in, a bunch of us just start chatting and sharing bits before @tremblap shows up? Could be good to cover some ground with each other ahead of time. Maybe even an hour early if people are down?

even better: I can let you have this and just listen for the first part. It would be amazing to start with hearing you guys trying to make sense of it first, taking notes on my side on what to clarify…

BTW I plan to use this, since @jamesbradbury introduced me to this secure, encrypted, open-source platform

but maybe there is a limit to how many people can connect… otherwise there is skype and zoom and messenger I can use… but I hate them all :wink:

There is no limit. The only thing that affects scalability is someone using Firefox in the call. Apparently this slows it down for everyone (something to do with Firefox not supporting thee p2p webrtc api (yet)). Ideally everyone uses some form of Chromium (Chrome, Edge, Brave, Vivaldi, Chromium) browser.

I’m up for a pre-chat with PA spying :speak_no_evil:

3 Likes

PA, do you think you can record (for our private consumption) in case I can’t join. Think it starts at 7:30am my time and then I have a faculty meeting I have to jump into…

I’ll connect at 15:30 uk time and will try to record indeed but my bandwidth might freak out… I’ll let you know how it goes.

1 Like

Don’t know if jitsi has something like this, but Zoom lets you record natively without having to setup a separate screencapture thing.

So the rest of us are meeting at 2:30pm UK time?

Should we use the hudhack jitsi room?

Are you going to meet for 1 full hour before? What I suggested is that we start at 15:30 and you guys start by talking for the first bit… it would probably help other timezones to join…

why not use the room I’ve created above?

Ah right. I mean, we can still do that, but my offer to “pre-game” still stands if anyone wants to start before the designated time to start geeking out earlier.

From the thing that gets embedded it just looked like a generic link to jitsi.