Regression + Classification = Regressification?

Gotcha!

Duh, lol.

I figured out the other numbers 12 was 13-1, etc… but I was looking at the 8 and was thinking “what is this number related to?!”.

1 Like

Ok, thanks to @tremblap’s helpful comments about that patch nugget, I’ve done some proper testing and comparing between all the variables at hand (pre-reduction).

The corrected and updated stats are:

20MFCCs with 1 derivative: 76.1% / 76.7% / 75.8% = 76.20%
20MFCCs with 2 derivatives: 76.6% / 73.6% / 75.0% = 75.07%
25MFCCs with 1 derivative: 71.7% / 75.9% / 72.4% = 73.33%
25MFCCs with 2 derivatives: 69.7% / 69.1% / 67.9% = 68.90%

So, surprisingly the 20MFCCs with no addition derivatives works out the best, with the 2 derivatives being only a touch behind. Surprisingly having 25MFCCs wasn’t better. Perhaps the extra resolution in this context isn’t beneficial and/or it’s capturing more noise or something else.

@weefuzzy’s intuition about the reduced usefulness of 2nd derivatives for such short analysis frames is correct.

I’m now tempted to try min-maxing the raw MFCCs and/or other stats to see if I can get better raw matching here, but it just takes a bit of faffing to set up each permutation to test things out.

In all honesty, 76% is pretty good considering how similar some of these sounds are (snare center vs snare edge), so it will likely do the job I’m wanting it to do. I’ll retest things once I have a larger and more varied training/testing set (with much more different sounds), but my hunch is that the matching will improve there. We’ll see.

I also now need to test to see how small I can get the PCA reduction while still retaining the best matching.

Well, well, well. What’s a data-based post without a little completionism.

So I wanted to go back and test stuff just using melbands (like @weefuzzy had suggested ages ago for the JIT-regressor stuff).

So using the same methodology as above (10 training hits, 1000 tries with testing data) but with some different stats. For all of these I’m using 40 melbands between 100 and 10k, with the only stats being mean and standard deviation.

Here are the results:

40mel with 1 derivative: 70.9% / 73.2% / 76.1% / 73.3% = 73.38%
40mel with 0 derivatives: 68.9% / 67.0% / 66.8% = 67.57%

The results are pretty good, though not as good as the MFCC-based results.

Based on the fact that I got pretty decent results from taking only the mean and standard deviation (rather than also taking min and max), I reran some of the earlier tests with 20MFCCs.

The results are pretty good, though not quite as good as taking more comprehensive stats.

Here are 20MFCCs with only mean and standard deviation as the stats:

20MFCCs with 1 derivative: 73.7% / 71.0% / 73.8% = 72.83%
20MFCCs with 0 derivatives: 71.7% / 71.3% / 73.0% = 72.00%

Where this starts getting interesting is that although the accuracy is lower, I’m getting pretty decent results with much less overall dimensions. For example, the last test there gives me 72% matching, using only 38 dimensions. As a point of reference, the best results I posted in my previous post was 76.2% which took 152 dimensions to achieve.

So it will be interesting to see how these shape up with some PCA applied, as it will be a balance between accuracy and speed, and the initial amount of dimensions for taking only mean/std is already at 25% the overall size, before any compression.

And today’s experiments have been with dimensionality reduction, and using a larger training/testing data set.

Off the bat, I was surprised to discover that my overall matching accuracy went down with the larger training set. I also noticed that some of the hits (soft mallet) failed to trigger the onset detection algorithm for the comparisons, so after 1000 testing hits, I’d often only end up with like 960 tests, so I would just “top it up” until I got the right amount. So it’s possible that skewed the data a little bit, but this was consistent across the board. If nothing else, this should serve as a useful relative measure of accuracy between all the variables below.

I should mention at this point that even though the numerical accuracy has gone down, if I check and listen to the composite sounds it assembles, they are plausible, which is functionally the most important thing here.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

So I did just some vanilla matching as above, but with the larger training set, just to get a baseline. That gave me this:

20MFCCs with 1 derivative: 44.1% / 45.5% / 46.5% = 45.37% (152d)
20MFCCs with 2 derivatives: 42.5% / 47.1% / 44.0% = 44.53% (228d)

(also including the amount of dimensions it takes to get this accuracy at the end)

I also re-ran what gave me good (but not the best) results by only taking the mean and standard deviation (whereas the above one also includes min and max).

That gives me this:

20MFCCs with 0 derivatives: 52.2% / 53.0% / 53.5% = 52.90% (38d)
20MFCCs with 1 derivatives: 54.5 / 53.0% / 52.5% = 53.33% (76d)

What’s interesting here is that for the raw matching power (sans dimensionality reduction), I actually get better results with only the mean and std. Before this was close, but the larger amount of statistics and dimensions were better.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

What I did next was test these variations with different amount of PCA-ification. This can go a lot of different ways, so I compared all of them with heavy reduction (8d) and medium reduction (20d) to see how they faired, relatively. (granted there are different amounts of dimensions to start with, but I wanted to get a semi-even comparison, and given my training set, I can only go up to 33d anyways).

As before, here are the versions that take four stats per derivative (mean, std, min, max):

20MFCCs with 1 derivative: 22.5% (8d)
20MFCCs with 1 derivative: 23.1% (20d)
20MFCCs with 2 derivatives: 26.5% (8d)
20MFCCs with 2 derivatives: 27.7 (20d)

I then compared the versions with only mean and std:

20MFCCs with 0 derivatives: 28.5% (8d)
20MFCCs with 0 derivatives: 26.2% (20d)
20MFCCs with 1 derivative: 25.5% (8d)
20MFCCs with 1 derivative: 23.0% (20d)
20MFCCs with 1 derivative: 30.0% (33d)

Even in a best case scenario, of going from 38d down to 20d, I get a pretty significant drop in accuracy (52.9% to 26.2%).

So with all of this in mind, I get the best overall accuracy while taking speed into consideration is taking only mean and std of 20MFCCs with zero derivatives which gives me 72.0% with the smaller data set and 52.90% with the larger data set, with only 38 dimensions.

I was hoping to see if I could smoosh that a little, but it appears that the accuracy suffers greatly. I wonder if this says more about my tiny analysis windows, the sound sources + descriptors used, or the PCA algorithm in general.

My take away with all of this is to get the best accuracy (if that’s important) with the lowest amount of dimensions possible, on the front end, rather than gobbling up everything and hoping dimensionality reduction (PCA at least) will make sense of it for you.

For a use case where it’s more about refactoring data (i.e. for a 2d plot, or a navigable space ala what @spluta is doing with his joystick), then it doesn’t matter as much, but for straight up point-for-point accuracy, the reduction stuff shits the bed.

(if/when we get other algorithms that let you transformpoint I’ll test those out, and same goes for fluid.mlpregressor~ if it becomes significantly faster, but for now, I will take my data how I take my chicken… raw and uncooked)

have you tried 20 Melbands? just for fun?

I haven’t.

I’ll give a spin. I used 40 for a couple reasons. One was that I figured more bands would be better, but also it’s the amount of bands I’m already getting for the spectral compensation stuff, so that analysis comes “for free”.

Ok, tested it with 20 melbands, only mean and std, no derivatives:

20mel with 0 derivatives: 48.6%

Which puts it smack in the middle of of the 20MFCC tests where 4stats was slightly worse than this, and 2stats was slightly better.

So “ok” results, but not great.

wait, what freq range did you use to spread the 40? I presume you could use the 20 mfccs of the middle of the 40 you have already to test. if you focus on the range in which the spectrum changes, you’ll have better segregations… or maybe using PCA to go from 40 to 20 here makes more sense.

I was going from 200 to 10k for the range (for both the 40 and 20 band versions).

I think I did a bit of testing with this for the spectral compensation stuff and the 40 bands in that range worked well for applying spectral compensation. That is to say, that range and amount of bands, showed a decent amount of resolution. That may or may not directly translate to differentiation for the purposes of matching though.

I think I also tried having a more compressed set of bands “in the middle”, but with how little my analysis window is, and how much high frequency information there is with the drums/percussion/metal stuff, I think having resolution higher up was more useful in that context.

I went just now to test to see how the 20MFCCs with only mean and std (38d) fares with only a tiny amount of PCA (going down to 33d) and the results aren’t great either. The accuracy drops from 52.9% to 9.6%(!!).

So I think it’s a matter of either MFCCs not being linear (though from what @groma said during the plenary, I thought that was the case), or the relationship between the various MFCCs and stats not being linear as to make PCA not very useful for reducing data there.

Do you think melbands are better suited to this? I guess once you start taking arbitrary statistics, any input data loses some of its linearity (?), so PCA would, again, start to suffer.

I really don’t know. @groma is the boss r.e. stats and stuff, and @weefuzzy is good too… but I often get ‘it depends’ because it seems to be true!

1 Like

Yeah.

In this case all the testing is pointing to MFCC + PCA = :frowning:, though happy to test some other permutations or insights they might have.

A little bit of an update on this.

Following some super awesome help and thoughts from @jamesbradbury by testing some permutations in his FTIS I decided to try a different approach. All of my testing so far has been primarily quantitative. Literally checking how well stuff matched, to try to minmax the best results with what I could manage.

@jamesbradbury set up a thing where it would play the test audio and then the nearest match audio, so you could hear them back to back. This was useful, so we decided to go full on and implement a @tutschku thing, where it plays the target, then the 4 nearest matches to hear the overall clustering/matching.

So with his large setup of analysis stuff (20MFCCs, all stats, 1 deriv), things sounded very good. Quite solid clustering. And even after some fairly aggressive reduction via UMAP (in Python), the audible matching was still fairly solid. (UMAP is pretty fucking slow though, in Python at least)

So what I’ve been experimenting with today is creating a more ‘real world’ training data set with hundreds of different hits at different dynamics, with different sticks, various preparations/objects, etc… I hadn’t done this before as I can’t really (easily) verify the results of this quantitatively since I would need a corresponding/fixed testing set, which would take forever to make. BUT using this @tutschku approach, I can just create loads of training hits and testing hits and then listen for the clustering.

And re-ran my tests from before and the results are interesting… Even though I was getting a solid numerical (and audible) match for the nearest match, the overall clustering wasn’t very good.

So I need to go back and try some different permutations to see what gives me the best overall sonic matching/clustering.

Oh, and bumping this thread wouldn’t be fun without some more statistics…

I went back and tried a few other permutations which I hadn’t tried yet, along with including some different descriptors.

Since I got pretty good results going with a lower amount of natural dimensions I tried reducing it even more and got pretty good results with just 19d by taking only the mean of the MFCCs.

20MFCCs - mean only: 50.6% (19d)

I then tried including loudness and pitch into the equation, thinking that it might be useful to have that for a bit of extra matching on those criteria. If i did 20MFCCs with mean and std for everything, including loudness and pitch I got the following:

20MFCCs + loudness/pitch - mean/std: ** 54.2%** (42d)

And if I remove the std, I get a very respectable matching accuracy with a low amount of dimensions (21d):

20MFCCs + loudness/pitch - mean: 54.8% / 53.6% / 53.1% = 53.83% (21d)

I should also say that this is with non-sanitized values (so MIDI for pitch and dB for loudness), so that kind of skews the knn stuff, but this was a quick test to see the potential viability of this.

So I was thinking about this again other day (after a bit of a detour with other stuff) and after re-reading my posts (thanks past @rodrigo.constanzo!), I decided to just start building the thing I want with the best results I could manage.

This was the best results I got before, when balancing accuracy with a low amount of natural dimensions.

But when going to set this up I realized I never tested the matching on the audio from the Sensory Percussion pickup at all. I was using it for the onset detection, but then used the DPA 4060 for the actual analysis, presuming that it would be better.

Sadly, some of the older training/test recordings I made were only of the DPA so after creating some new recordings today, I compared the matching from different permutations of sources. It also means I can’t do a 100% comparison with the old numbers.

I did, however, create a slightly broader set of examples where I mixed vanilla drum hits (center vs edge) with some light preparations (crotales etc…).

These are the permutations I compared:

1. DPA 4060
  2. Sensory Percussion pickup (raw)
  3. Sensory Percussion pickup (5k boost, like in my onset detection algorithm)
  4. Sensory Percussion pickup (using mic correction convolution with HIRT)

All were still using the previously optimized onset detection settings with the Sensory Percussion pickup, and all were using the 19MFCCs + loudness/pitch, with only means for all (21d). I also changed my methodology so rather than taking thousands of random samples from the testing pool and crunching that way, I would check each individual example from the testing set once, since the process is (almost) deterministic.

The results are surprising!

DPA 4060: 54% / 54% / 54% / 54% = 54%

SP raw: 63% / 61% / 63% / 62% / 63% = 62.4%

SP 5k: 47% / 48% / 47% / 47% = 47.25%

SP conv: 56% / 57% / 58% / 57% = 57%

I don’t know why I would assume that the DPA would be better for differentiation whereas a big part of the SP system is the custom hardware, but using the audio from the SP pickup for the MFCC/loudness/pitch matching gives me an instant 19% matching improvement!

It was interesting to see that I got the best results with just the raw audio from the pickup (as shitty as it is) vs a bit of EQ and convolution.

So moving forward I’ll use this for the raw matching/differentiation (and MFCCs in general I guess) and then use the DPA when I’m more looking for perceptual descriptors.

1 Like

And here’s a qualitative version using the @tutschku method (5 samples played back-to-back).

Also, after some frustrating fucking around, I managed to setup OBS in my studio, so no more iPhone filming of my monitor…

As the results above demonstrate, the matching is better overall with the SP vs the DPA. Although I don’t show it in the video, even more so if I play the original and the single nearest match.

So definitely the way to go, going forward.

A bit of a bump here, although on a different course of discussion.

When I first made this thread, I wasn’t sure what approach was best to take with what I wanted to do (use small windows to predict bigger windows, to then use as matching criteria), but now I think I have a better handle on it.

Rather, I had a better handle on it.

My work at the moment has been trying to build a big enough fluid.kdtree~ such that a tiny (256) analysis window could be matched to the nearest longer (4410) analysis window, to then combine those two together to find the nearest match, but faster.

I knew a classifier wasn’t what I was after as I was going to have hundreds/thousands of individual hits which may or may not repeat or may or may not be similar. I wanted to have a large pool of “most of the sounds I can make with my snare”.

At the last geekout, as @tremblap was explaining why my regressor wasn’t converging we ended up on a tangent (prompted by @tedmoore’s questions) which brought me back to thinking about using a regressor for this purpose.

So I’ve been thinking about this a bit, but I’m kind of confused as to what numbers I should have on each end.

So for the input, I want to have enough descriptors/stats to have a well defined and differentiated space, as the primary features. And at the output I would then want to have (potentially) musically meaningful descriptors/stats which would then be used to query a fluid.kdtree~. In reality I would probably still want to take info from both since the 256 would be “real” and the 4410 would be “predicted” (with some error). So I can kind of wrap my head around this a bit. I guess there may be an asymmetry to things as the regressor (as far as I understand) doesn’t care about the types of data on each end. So I could potentially have a very small/tight set of descriptors/stats going in, and a much broader set of descriptors coming out.

So that asymmetry is a bit of a headfuck in terms of it being loads of variables to try/test with fragility at each possible test.

But where I have a more concrete question is about the nature of the numbers that will be interpolated. Say I have a descriptor space with loudness/pitch/centroid, and then interpolate between points. I would imagine it wouldn’t be perfect, but I could see a regressor “connecting the dots” in a way that’s probably useful and realistic. But if I have a bunch of MFCCs, or even worse, MFCCs/stats that have been UMAP’d, will the interpolation between these points potentially yield anything “real”? As in, if I have more abstract features on the output side of the regressor training, will that lead to useless data when interpolating between points?

A bit of a bump here as I’ve been playing with this with the latest update. It’s profoundly easier to try different descriptor/stats combinations now.

As a reminder this is trying to differentiate between subtly different hits on the snare (e.g. snare center vs snare edge).

I’ve learned a couple things off the bat. spectral shape stuff doesn’t seem to help here at all, and loudness, although often descriptive, isn’t ideal for (timbre) classification as it isn’t distinctive enough. So far I’ve gotten the best results just using straight MFCCs ((partially)loudness-weighted), but even with the simplicity of the ‘newschool’ stuff, I spent over an hour today manually changing settings/descriptors/stats, then running a test example, and then going again.

This is an issue I had before, but process of changing the analysis parameters in the ‘oldschool’ way meant that, at best, I could test one new processing change variation in about an hour’s worth of coding. So it was all slow.

So I basically have 7 types of hits, for which I have training and example data (which I know, and can label) (e.g. center, edge, rim tip, rim shoulder, etc…). I do most of my testing on center/edge since those are the closest to each other and, as such, are the most problematic ones.

I’m wondering what would be the best way to go about to figure out what recipe/settings provide the best results, given that I know what the training data is, and what the corresponding examples are too. Max is pretty shitty for this kind of iterative/procedural stuff, so I was thinking either something like @jamesbradbury 's ftis, or I remember @tedmoore ages ago spelunking similar things in SC. My thinking is something where I can point it to example audio, labels for the training data, then labeled testing examples, and be able to find out that “these settings and descriptors/stats give the most accurate results” without having to manually tweak and hunt for them.

Where things get a bit sticky here is that, so far, most of the improvements I’ve been seeing have been coming from tweaking specific MFCC settings. Like amount of coeffs, zero padding or not, min/max freq range, and then the obvious stuff like stats/derivs. So it’s not as straight forward as “just analyze everything”, because there’s even more permutations involved when starting to change those settings too.

I was also, parallel-y thinking that PCA/variance stuff may be useful here. This is perhaps a naive assumption, but I would imagine that whichever components best describe the variance would presumably also be best for differentiating between examples for classification.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

So this is partly a philosophical question which I’ve pointed at many times before where much of (from my experience at least) interfacing with ML is arbitrarily picking numbers that the computer will then tell me are no good, before sending me off to come back with better numbers.

The second part is more practical in terms of if there’s something (semi)pre-baked in ftis/SC that does this sort of auto meta-params-type thing.

Ok, I got to some coding/tweaking and made a lofi “automatic testing” patch where I manually change settings and start the process, then I get back quantified results (in the form of a % of accurate identifications).

I’m posting the results here for posterity and hopeful usefulness for others (and myself when I inevitably forget again).

My methodology was to have some training audio where I hit the center of the drum around 30 times, then the edge another 30-40 times (71 hits total), then send it a different recording of pre-labeled hits. These were compared to the classified hits and a % was gotten from that.

Given some recent, more qualitative, testing I spent most of my energy tweaking and massaging MFCC and related statistical analyses.

All of this was also with a 256 sample analysis window, with a hop of 64 and @padding 2, so just 7 frames of analysis across the board. And all the MFCCs were computed with (approximate) loudness-weighted statistics.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

To save time for skimming, I’ll open with the recipe that got me the best results.

96.9%:

13 mfccs / startcoeff 1
zero padding (256 64 512)
min 200 / max 12000
mean std low high (1 deriv)

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

As mentioned above, I spent most of the time playing with the @attributes of fluid.buffmfcc~, as I was getting worse results when combining spectral shape, pitch, and (obviously) loudness into the mix.

I remembered some discussions with @weefuzzy from a while back where he said that MFCCs don’t handle noisy input well, which is particularly relevant here as the Sensory Percussion sensor has a pretty variable and shitty signal-to-noise ratio as the enclosure is unshielded plastic and pretty amplified.

So I started messing with the @maxfreq to see if I could get most of the information I needed/wanted in a smaller overall frequency range. (still keeping @minfreq 200 given how small the analysis window is)

83.1%:

20 mfccs / startcoeff 1
min 200 / max 5000

81.5%:

20 mfccs / startcoeff 1
min 200 / max 8000

93.8%:

20 mfccs / startcoeff 1
min 200 / max 10000

95.4%:

20 mfccs / startcoeff 1
min 200 / max 12000

92.3%:

20 mfccs / startcoeff 1
min 200 / max 14000

92.3%:

20 mfccs / startcoeff 1
min 200 / max 20000

What’s notable here is that the accuracy seemed to improve as I raised the overall frequency range with a point of diminishing returns coming at @maxfreq 12000. I guess this makes sense as it gives a pretty wide range, but then ignores all the super high frequency stuff that isn’t helpful (as it turns out) for classification.

I then tried experimenting a bit (somewhat randomly) with adding/removing stats and derivatives. Nothing terribly insightful from this stream other than figuring out that 4 stats (mean std min max) with 1 derivative of each seemed to work best.

92.3%:

20 mfccs / startcoeff 1
min 200 / max 12000
mean std (no deriv)

93.8%:

20 mfccs / startcoeff 1
min 200 / max 12000
mean std (1 deriv)

90.8%:

20 mfccs / startcoeff 1
min 200 / max 12000
all stats (0 deriv)

90.8%:

20 mfccs / startcoeff 1
min 200 / max 12000
all stats (1 deriv)

Then, finally, I tried some variations with a lower amount of MFCCs, going with the “standard” 13, which led to the best results, which are also posted above.

83.1%:

13 mfccs / startcoeff 1
min 200 / max 5000

96.9%:

13 mfccs / startcoeff 1
min 200 / max 12000

For good measure, I also compared the best results with a version with no zero padding (i.e. @fftsettings 256 64 256), and that didn’t perform as well.

93.8%:

13 mfccs / startcoeff 1
no padding (256 64 256)
min 200 / max 12000

So a bit of an oldschool “number dump” post, but quite pleased with the results I was able to get, even if it was tedious to manually change the settings each time.

2 Likes

I love this.

1 Like

Ok, so I’ve finally pushed this a bit further and have tried getting into the nitty-gritty PCA->UMAP-type stuff.

Took me a bit of hoop jumping to get there, but finally was able to test some stuff out.

So as a reminder/context, I’m trying to analyze realtime audio with a tiny analysis window (256 samples) and then feed that into a regressor to “predict” what the rest of that sound would sound like.

I’m doing this by building up two datasets of the same sounds. The first one being the first 256 samples, and the second being the first 4410 samples (I may experiment with this being samples 257-4410 instead).

I have a few premade hits of me playing snare with various sticks/techniques/dynamics/objects/etc… I’m testing things with 800 hits, though I can see myself going much higher than that for a comprehensive version (and also much lower for a quick-and-dirty-borrowed-snare context).

I spent the bulk of the time trying to create an analysis workflow similar to what I was doing with my LTE idea (adapted from @tremblap’s LPT idea) where I funnel each “high level” descriptor through its own processing chain, with the idea of ending up with a lower dimensional space that represents the higher dimensional space well.

For the sake of simplicity/testing, I did: Loudness, MFCCs, SpectralShape, and Pitch. Quite a bit of overlap there, but it’s easier to test this way then trying to piecemeal things like I was doing in the LTEp patch.

The actual patch is quite messy, but each “vertical” looks something like this:

And the top-level descriptor settings are these:

(the melband analysis is for spectral compensation that runs parallel to this)

At the bottom of this processing chain is a bit that puts all the fluid.dataset~s together, and saves the fits for everything.

I then tried mapping the spaces onto each other, keeping the fits the same, based on @tedmoore’s suggestion a while back. I could have sworn I did this successfully ages ago, but the results now were pretty shitty.

Here is the bottom of each processing chain with a 256 sample analysis window:

(pitch is obviously not great as these are mainly drum sounds)

And here is the 4410 sample versions, with the same fits:

(ignore the combined one on the left, as I didn’t save the fit when doing this as it’s elsewhere in the patch)

I was a bit bummed out about this as I was working under the assumption that each side of the regressor should be able to map onto each other naturally. I was reminded that this isn’t the case when rewatching @tedmoore’s useful video last night:

I guess the whole idea is that the numbers on either side don’t have a clear connection, and it is the regressor that has to create one.

Now over the last few days I’ve been playing with fluid.mlpregressor~. I still find this profoundly confusing as nothing ever converges, the settings are opaque, the documentation/reference is thin, and I’ve forgotten all the “common practice/lore” stuff that’s been said on the forum over the years.

Other than doing a test/simple thing (e.g. the help patch), I don’t think I’ve ever successfully fit something! (well, barring the details below).

So at first I tried feeding the results of the robustscale->PCA->UMAP->normalize processing chain and was getting dogshit results. My loss was typically in the 0.3-0.4 range.

That was using fluid.mlpregressor~ settings of:
@hiddenlayers 3 @activation 1 @outputactivation 1 @batchsize 1 @maxiter 10000 @learnrate 0.1 @validation 0

I would run that a handful of times, and the numbers would go down slightly, but not by any meaningful amount. They would also sometimes go up.

After speaking to @jamesbradbury he said that that was probably an ok amount of loss since the amount of points/data is pretty high (8d with 800 entries).

On a hunch, I decided to try something different this morning and instead feed the network 8 “natural” descriptors. As in, mean of loudness, deriv of mean of loudness, mean of centroid, etc… So 8 “perceptual” descriptors, with no post processing (other than normalization so they would fit the @activation 1 of fluid.mlpregressor~. That instantly got me better results.

I tried again using only 6 descriptors (leaving out pitch/confidence) and that was even better!

Here are the results of the tests I did, along with the network size, and what was fit first:
@hiddenlayers 3
6d of natural descriptors (no pitch): 0.096001
8d of natural descriptors: 0.160977

8d of pca/umap (256 fit): 0.325447
8d of pca/umap (4410 fit): 0.463417

@hiddenlayers 4 2 4
6d of natural descriptors (no pitch): 0.092399
8d of natural descriptors: 0.155284

8d of pca/umap (256 fit): 0.317485
8d of pca/umap (4410 fit): 0.44022

This was pretty surprising I have to say. If it holds up (I’ve run the tests twice and it has), it would be even more useful for my intended use case (analyzing “long” windows in “realtime”) since the numbers on either side “make sense” and are relatively scalable. As in, I know what the mean of loudness is, and can do something with that from the predicted version, as opposed to 1d of a slurry of PCA/UMAP soup.

I still need to have a think on what I want to do with the results of the regressor as my idea, presently, is to use that to find the nearest match using fluid.kdtree~, with the idea being that with the longer analysis window I can have a better estimation of morphology (and pitch). That being said, it is a predicted set of values, rather than analyzed ones, so I’d want to weigh them accordingly, something I’m not sure how to do in the fluid.verse~.

Additionally, I’m not sure what descriptors/stats make the most sense to match against. Perhaps some hybrid where I take “natural” descriptors for loudness/pitch, but then have a reduction of MFCCs in the mix too? I do wish fluid.datasetquery~ was easier to use/understand, as I could just cut together what I want from the datasets below, but each time I go to use it I have to spend 5 minutes looking through the helpfile, and then another 5 figuring out why it didn’t work, and another 5 making sure the actual data I wanted was moved over once it does work.

SO

I welcome thoughts/input from our resident ML gurus on things that could be improved/tested, or the implications of having “natural descriptors” regressing better than baked/cooked numbers.

Here are the datsets I did my testing with if anyone wants to compare/test.

NATURAL_6d.zip (113.7 KB)
NATURAL_8d.zip (113.7 KB)
PCA_UMAP_256fit.zip (123.9 KB)
PCA_UMAP_4410fit.zip (123.9 KB)

@tedmoore and @jamesbradbury are hard at work developing considerably better docs but I think you know that.

Some important aspects of lore that we’ve discussed at various points

• absolute loss numbers aren’t all that important, and they don’t by themselves signify convergence or not. They’re especially meaningless for regressors without reference to the number of output dimensions and the range of each of those dimensions
  • accordingly, the way to work when adjusting the network for a task is to use a small number of iterations and repeated calls to fit and look at the loss curve over time.
  • even then, the litmus test of whether a network is working as desired is not how well it does in training but how well it does with unseen test data (and even then, you might just have a ‘clever horse’)
  • if things aren’t converging then the learning rate is probably too big, but maybe too small: an important initial step is to find the point where it becomes noisy in the loss curve and back off from there
  • a batchsize of 1 will likely result in noisier convergence
  • the number of in / out dimensions isn’t the only important thing when working out if you have enough data: what you need to think about is the number of unknown parameters the network is learning, which is a function of the dimensionality at each layer
  • the quantity of data needs to be matched by the quality as well. Starting with a small number of raw descriptors is a perfectly sensible thing to do. Whether they exhibit patterns that match what you want the network to be sensitive to needs to be established empirically (i.e look at the descriptors over time and see if they (some of them) wiggle at points where you need to see wiggling). Being parsimonious is also a good idea: stuffing the learning process with loads of derived stats etc. is unlikely to help things if those stats don’t increase the obviousness of the things you want to capture.
1 Like