Ways to test the validity/usefulness/salience of your data

Fundamentally it will be “short sounds” in on the left, and “long sounds” out on the right.

But I think I was thinking about this incorrectly (and likely still am). I was trying this fork of the process as a way to semi-objectively be able to assess the efficacy of the PCA->UMAP pipeline (for this kind of material) by having the same pipeline/statistic, and importantly fits on each side.

BUT

I think what actually need to happen is to have the best set of descriptors/stats (as determined by PCA->UMAP) for the teeny/tiny samples as the input, and then the output being a different set of descriptors/stats which includes parameters which are not possible in the short time window (hence the reason for doing this in the first place). So the longer windows would likely have better data for some vanilla stuff, but should also include things which have richer morphological descriptors/stats. So perhaps having more derivatives (or perhaps no derivs at all on the short windows), perhaps having all frames of loudness-based descriptors rather than statistical summaries. Including custom temporal descriptors like time centroid, “timeness”, or stuff like what @balintlaczko was doing where the relationship between the attack portion and the sustain is a descriptor too.

So the idea would be to see if whatever best represents the shrimpy samples could be correlated/regressed with the actual richer, more meaningful, analysis that’s possible on the longer time scale.

In either case, the amount of dimensions on either end is quite variable as it’s going through PCA->UMAP to get there.

I’m also hoping to then have some kind of weighted comparison when querying for samples and such where (potentially) the shorter analysis window is weighted more heavily as it’s “real” and “measured”, whereas the longer window is taken into consideration, but only partially as it’s predictive/regressed. But one problem at a time.

///////////////////////

p.s. all of the main FluCoMa crew (@weefuzzy, @jamesbradbury, @tedmoore) have workshop specific suffixes still in their display names (e.g. “tedmoore Oslo Workshop”). I’m always surprised when I the email notification as that’s what shows up first in the text.